Great Ideas for Teaching (GIFT) will once again be a part of AEJMC’s annual conference, scheduled this year in Chicago from Aug. 8 to Aug. 12. GIFT is always one of the most popular sessions at the conference.
Sponsored by the Small Programs Interest Group, the Community College Journalism Association and the Communication Technology Division, GIFT is a refereed panel presentation of the best teaching tips and techniques.
The Top 25 GIFT ideas, as selected by a panel of judges from within AEJMC, will be presented at a poster session, with the top idea winning the Grand Prize Award for 2017.
- Anyone teaching journalism/mass communication classes at the college level is eligible to submit outstanding and innovative classroom teaching examples. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Entries must be submitted using the form at https://aejmcgift.wordpress.com/.
- In addition to providing contact info., each entrant must submit a title of the assignment/project.
- Each entrant must write a short description (1000 words, maximum) that includes the idea, how it is implemented, where it is used (e.g., specific class, student media, etc.), goals and student reactions/results.
- Completed forms should be e-mailed to Kay Colley, email@example.com. Entries that do not follow format will be disqualified.
- All entries must be received via email by Sunday, April 30, at 11:59 p.m. Central Time. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Submissions will be acknowledged but not returned.
- Those selected for the GIFT session in Chicago will be notified by May 31. Presenters are expected to attend the session for its duration.
Each presenter will have a personal bulletin board measuring approximately 4-feet by 3-feet and will be required to create a poster that illustrates the project. Presenters are not required to prepare a formal presentation but should be prepared to discuss their projects with those who are interested.