A Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
RSS icon Email icon Home icon
  • Division to recognize excellence in outreach, diversity, teaching, research at August convention

Posted on June 13th, 2016 Teresa White, SJD secretary No comments

The Scholastic Journalism Division is excited to announce its slate of award winners and honorees for 2016. The Division will recognize recipients during the AEJMC Annual Conference in Minneapolis, Aug. 4-7.

Innovative Outreach to Scholastic Journalism

Steven Listopad, Valley City State University Photo: VCSU

Steven Listopad
    Photo: VCSU

Prof. Steve Listopad of Valley City State University in North Dakota, has been named the winner of the 2016 Innovative Outreach to Scholastic Journalism Award.

Listopad began a national initiative that has re-started the anti-Hazelwood student-free-speech movement in North Dakota and across the United States. “New Voices USA” was begun four years ago as “New Voices North Dakota” and resulted in the country’s first anti-Hazelwood law passed in 10 years.

The ripples from “New Voices North Dakota” have been felt across the U.S., wrote Listopad’s nominator, Student Press Law Center Executive Director Frank LoMonte.

“Inspired by his vision and equipped with his coaching, advocates successfully secured passage of New Voices laws in Maryland and Illinois, with bills pending in Minnesota, Michigan and Rhode Island,” LoMonte wrote. “New Voices organizations are taking shape across the country in accordance with Prof. Listopad’s vision, with chapters in at least 19 states.”

“It took someone with Prof. Listopad’s indefatigable will to breathe life into a moribund reform movement.”

Listopad will be honored at the Scholastic Journalism Division’s annual meeting, scheduled for 8:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 5, at the Minneapolis Hilton, home of the annual AEJMC conference.

Robert L. Knight Multicultural Award

Kimetris Baltrip, Kansas State University Photo: KSU

Kimetris Baltrip
    Photo: KSU

Prof. Kimetris Baltrip of Kansas State University has been named the 2016 winner of the will be honored Saturday, Aug. 6, at the annual Minorities and Communication/Scholastic Journalism Division luncheon at the Minneapolis Hilton.

For more than 10 years at K-State, Baltrip has worked to promote diversity within the school and its student newspaper, and provide opportunities for minority students. During her first three years as adviser, she increased diversity among the Collegian staff by 700 percent, from two students to 14.

She has also worked in the Manhattan community to promote diversity, creating the “Diversity Discovery” workshop, exposing middle school students to the journalism field. She also resurrected the school’s Diverse Mass Communicators organization, and guided students in creating the first NABJ chapter at Kansas State.

Baltrip came to K-State in 2005 after stints as a copy editor at both The New York Times and the Houston Chronicle. She also served as an assistant professor at both Prairie View A&M University and Akron University.

David Adams Educator of the Year

Nicole Kraft, Ohio State University Photo: OSU

Nicole Kraft
    Photo: OSU

Nicole Kraft of The Ohio State University will be honored as the 2016 David Adams Educator of the Year during the division meeting Friday, Aug. 5.

Kraft is “a leader at our university — and around the world — at incorporating technology into classroom work,” wrote OSU journalism student Bruce Thomas.

Kraft has exported her vision of technology in the journalism classroom to several places around the globe, including as far away as Ethiopia. Her presence on AEJMC teaching panels and in scholar-to-scholar poster sessions focuses on her own classroom techniques and the research she does in evaluating those techniques.

“Nicole’s use of technology, integration of authentic and engaging learning experiences and dedication to high-quality, low-cost learning materials sets her apart,” wrote former OSU student Byron Roush. “Nicole Kraft is one of the most innovative and dedicated instructors I have come across as an undergraduate or graduate student, regardless of discipline.”

An OSU colleague called Kraft “a pioneer in education and teaching.”

“Her courses are popular and innovative with the use of methods and technology,” wrote Janet M. Box-Steffensmeier. “She cares about her students and her teaching to her core. She has participated in the dialogue about teaching and learning through talks, panels, grants and her service.”

2016 Honors Lecture

Mary Arnold, South Dakota State University Photo: SDSU

Mary Arnold
    Photo: SDSU

Prof. Mary Arnold of South Dakota State University will deliver the 2016 Scholastic Journalism Division’s Honors Lecture, which will kick off the member’s meeting, set for 8:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 5, at the Minneapolis Hilton.

Arnold, the 2015 David Adams Educator of the Year, has been at SDSU since 2002, when she moved back to her native South Dakota to serve the school as department head for Journalism and Mass Communication.

Before that, Arnold was on the journalism faculties at Ball State University and the University of Iowa, she served as the executive director of the American Society of Newspaper Editors High School Journalism Institute, and she managed youth editorial and diversity programs for the Newspaper Association of America.

Diversity Luncheon Keynote Speaker

Ramona Marozas Photo: NNCNOW

Ramona Marozas
    Photo: NNCNOW

Television reporter Ramona Marozas will deliver the keynote address at the annual MAC/SJD luncheon, scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 6 from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. at the Minneapolis Hilton.

After graduating from St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, Marozas started working as a multimedia journalist at KDLH in Duluth, Minnesota in 2013 and now serves as a multimedia producer and reporter.

From her bio on the Northland News (Duluth, Minn.) website:

“Marozas is a member of the largest Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, which is the Bad River Band of the Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians Reservation.

“During her college years she interned at the St. Cloud Times in St. Cloud, Minn., and at the Argus Leader in Sioux Falls, S.D. After college she became the first News Apprentice to work at WCCO-TV in Minneapolis. She is also a 2010 and 2011 American Indian Journalism Institute (AIJI) graduate.

“Marozas has been a proud member of the Native American Journalist Association (NAJA) since 2008. She attended NAJA conferences in 2009 and 2011 as a student, and returned in 2013 as a Project Phoenix mentor. She also was a student at the UNITY: Journalists of Color Convention and the Crazy Horse Journalism Career Conference in 2008.”

Research Awards

Laurence R. Campbell Award (Top Faculty Paper):

“Journalists’ and Journalism Students’ Conceptions of Journalistic Roles: Potential for Change?”

• Tim Vos; University of Missouri
    • Marina Hendricks; University of Missouri
    • David Wolfgang; University of Missouri

Top Student Paper

“Back to the Future: Vocational Anticipatory Socialization and High School Journalism”