Nominations for the Inez Kaiser Graduate Students of Color Awards are accepted by the Public Relations Division every spring through the early summer deadline. The award honors Inez Kaiser, the first African-American woman to belong to PRSA and to head a public relations agency with national clients. Inez Kaiser & Associates was the oldest African-American, female-owned PR agency. The Kaiser Awards are supported by a grant from the PRSA Foundation.
“If you do right, you will end up on top.”
– Inez Kaiser
Recipients receive a free one-year membership to AEJMC and the Public Relations Division as well as travel and lodging at the AEJMC national conference. In addition, recipients will be assigned a Public Relations Division mentor and take part in the PRD social, business meeting, and other recommended sessions. The total amount of each award is $1,260.
The awards seek to encourage these students’ academic career aspirations, and in turn, their involvement broadens the diversity within the Public Relations Division, AEJMC and the public relations profession. Previous winners of a Kaiser Award are not eligible to apply in a future year.
Preference will be given to applicants who are:
- Doctoral students
- Students of minority/emerging minority status
- Students presenting a paper at the AEJMC conference
- Self nominations by eligible graduate students or nominations by PRD/AEJMC members on behalf of eligible graduate students are accepted via the online application form.
- Completion of the online nomination and application form.
Optional (but recommended):
- Letter of recommendation from student’s faculty advisor
- Current curriculum vitae of student
Deadline: The deadline for nominations and materials is June 18, 2016.
Contact: If you would like to learn more about the Kaiser Awards, please contact the Kaiser Award Committee chair, Candace Parrish, at PRDInezKaiserAward@gmail.com.
Inez Kaiser Graduate Students of Color Awards Donor Information
We are very appreciative of the support of the PRSA Foundation, but we also need the help of PRD members and friends of PRD in making this award more financially self-sustaining for the longer term. Tax-deductible contributions in any amount may be sent to:
Attn. Ms. Kathy Bailey
234 Outlet Pointe Boulevard, Ste. A
Columbia, SC 29210-5667 USA
Please make your check payable to AEJMC and note on the memo line of your check that it is for the Public Relations Division — Kaiser Awards. If you would like to make a donation via electronic payment, please contact Ms. Kathy Bailey for details at email@example.com.
Kaiser Graduate Students of Color Award Winners (2010–2016)
- Camila Espina (University of Georgia)
- Yeunjae Lee (Purdue University)
- Esi Thompson (University of Oregon)
- Julio J. Bermejo (University of Maryland)
- Yang Alice Cheng (University of Missouri)
- Candace P. Parrish (Virginia Commonwealth University)
- ‘Niyi Waid Bello (Texas Tech University)
- Niveen AbiGhannam (University of Texas at Austin)
- Young Eun Park (Indiana University)
- Daba Hatfield (University of Oklahoma)
- Arunima Krishna (Purdue University)
- Nur Uysal (University of Oklahoma)
- The Kaiser awards program was placed on temporary hiatus and re-launched in 2012 as a more selective program with greater overall benefits provided to awardees.