Ruoxu Wang, Graduate Student Liaison
So you have papers accepted to AEJMC 2017? Congratulations! As a graduate student, how can you make the most of an academic conference? We have six tips for you.
- AEJMC is a professional international conference and most attendees wear business or business casual. Pack your favorite business suit before you fly to Chicago.
- Before you attend the conference, don’t forget to register and book your flight/hotel. Early registration can help you save tons of money. Conference registration: http://aejmc.org/events/chicago17/registration/. Hotel reservation: http://aejmc.org/events/chicago17/hotel/
- Travel Grant. Many divisions at AEJMC offer travel grants for graduate students. The MCS Division Graduate Travel Award program assists graduate students with their research endeavors by providing funds to travel to the Midwinter or annual AEJMC conferences. For more information: http://aejmc.us/mcs/awards/travel-awards/graduate-travel-award-program/
- Conference Navigation. Pick up your program book at the registration to find out which session you would like to go to. Download the mobile app on your phone if you want to go paperless. Follow AEJMC divisions on social media to find out what is coming next. Follow MCS on Twitter (https://twitter.com/aejmc_mcs) and on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/254439784658/).
- Make Appointments. Got a scholar you want to connect with? Make an appointment! Just send a polite email to the scholar you want to talk with. Some professors may decline your requests as they may have other duties at the conference (i.e. interviewing job candidates). Check the online conference program to find out when and where the scholar is presenting. Attend paper sessions and poster sessions punctually can boost your chance of meeting with the scholar you always want to talk with. Don’t forget to bring your business card!
- Enjoy Chicago. Last but not the least, take some time to enjoy Chicago. There is a lot of things to do and see. Check this link out: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g35805-Activities-Chicago_Illinois.html