Nominations are due Feb. 1, 2017, for AEJMC’s Larry Burkum Service Award from the Electronic News Division. This award recognizes an electronic journalist or journalism educator who has demonstrated extraordinary service to journalism and to journalism education.
Honorees may be selected in one of two ways – either through nomination presented to the selection committee (comprised of past EN Division Heads and Burkum Award Winners), or directly by the committee itself. The committee is chaired by Tim Brown, Univ. of Central Florida (contact info below).
Criteria for nomination and selection include strong evidence of significant service contributions to journalism education and to the electronic news industry. Examples of service may include, but are not limited to the following exemplars:
- Heading a national organization dedicated to advancing journalism and journalism education.
- Publishing journalism focused work (e.g., articles for news industry related websites, textbooks, videos).
- Developing and administering foundations that assist journalism students and educators in their growth and development (e.g., scholarship, foundations, etc.).
- Leading educational initiatives within the nominee’s industry (e.g., head of internship development for station group; running a student focused apprenticeship program, etc.).
- Research designed to help students and young journalists advance their career performance in journalism, and extraordinary service to the mission of the Electronic News Division.
The successful Burkum nomination packet (http://aejmc.us/end/about/awards-guidelines/) will include a detailed, thorough letter of nomination; a complete resume/cv of the nominee; up to three supporting letters from educators/and/or colleagues; however, a statement by the nominee in support of his or her nomination should not be included. Nominations will remain active for three years.
The award will be presented at a special ceremony held by the division at AEJMC’s Chicago Conference, August 9th-12th, 2017.
Electronic nominations should be sent to: Tim Brown, Associate Director of the Nicholson School of Communication, University of Central Florida. email@example.com. Please feel free to contact Dr. Brown if you have any questions about the nomination process, either via email; phone (407-823-5273) or DM (@doctimbrown).